A New Storage Unit
There are public storage units in most towns. If you’re not sure where your closest one is, then use a search engine such as Google to look for ‘storage unit near me’. You might want to move some items into a storage unit temporarily, while you move house, or more permanently to store items you don’t need on a day-to-day basis.
Take some time to draw up a plan for storage before you get there. Here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Putting a label on the outside of each box that lists the contents will help you find things much more quickly in the future. Fragile items will need to be stored carefully. Make sure that they are packaged properly and that the boxes are marked on all sides as fragile.
2. Having shelving along the sides of your storage unit can help keep the contents organized. Airflow is important. Don’t stack boxes right to the sides, or you might encourage mold.
Store items in cardboard boxes which can breathe. Plastic bags or airtight plastic containers can trap moisture which leads to mold or mildew.
3. Electrical items can become damaged in very cold or hot conditions and may not be suitable for storage.
4. Load your vehicle so that the items you want at the rear of your store are the first you unload.
How to Clean Out a Dirty Storage Unit
Although we tend to close the door on our storage units and forget about them, it’s best if they are regularly cleaned. It helps to prevent items from getting moldy or damaged by pests and gives us the chance to clear out some clutter, which is good for our health. If you’re faced with this task, consider these tips.
5. Take a friend with you. You’re likely to get caught up in the memories that these stored objects evoke, a friend can help you make sensible decisions about what to keep and what to throw out.
6. Have labeled boxes for taking home, recycling, donating or selling and storing. Go through one box at a time, and separate the contents. When you put it back into storage, remember to label the box!
7. If the storage unit floor is dirty then it’s best to clean it to avoid oil or other dirt from getting onto your possessions. Here are tips on how to clean concrete.
Create a Welcoming Unit
If you follow these simple steps, then you should have a storage unit that is pleasant to visit. If you need something, it will be easy to find and you know that it will be just as you left it.
For more information about our storage units, get in touch today.